Monday, September 10, 2012

Happy birthday, Mary Oliver

Thirst

Another morning and I wake with thirst for the goodness I do not have.
I walk out to the pond and all the way God has given us such beautiful lessons.
Oh Lord, I was never a quick scholar
but sulked and hunched over my books past the hour and the bell;
grant me, in your mercy, a little more time.
Love for the earth and love for you are having such a long conversation in my heart.
Who knows what will finally happen or where I will be sent,
yet already I have given a great many things away,
expecting to be told to pack nothing,
except the prayers which, with this thirst, I am slowly learning.

1 comment:

  1. A dear friend introduced me to Mary Oliver about 7 years ago.
    A great poet.
    Happy Birthday indeed.

    ReplyDelete