Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Water Between Here and There

It was rush hour, and either of my alternatives was going to take some time. I landed in Seattle and needed to get to the Olympic Peninsula. I could have taken the puddle jumper to Port Angeles, but for some reason I like to take my time getting there, and more flying is not taking my time. My first spiritual director said that it takes our souls a full day to catch up with every time zone we cross when we fly. I needed some ground time...or water time. I needed some soul time.

My son and his family moved to Port Angeles eleven years ago, and by now I do not know how many trips I've made. If we are counting time spent with his family the answer is not enough. In addition to visits to them, we have also spent time in the San Juan Islands, on Vancouver Island, and sailing in the Straits of Juan de Fuca. I've grown to love the area.

There is something sacred for me in riding the ferries. I understand that for most people they are simply functional. And most of those people sit in their cars, maybe even work in their cars or talk on their cell phones or check Facebook or play Bejewelled to pass the time. Maybe you need to be from somewhere else, somewhere hot and dry, to experience the ferries as mystical, but I get out of my car as quick as I can and get the best seat I can to watch from the window for something magical to appear. And water is magic enough for me, so the seals who watch and the birds and the point of Mount Rainier are all added blessings. And the time is blessing, a pause between here and there, between one highway and the next, to look and wait and take the time it takes. 

1 comment:

  1. It was great seeing you Mom. Thank you for making the long trek it takes to get here. The ferries are special to us too, especially to the kids, who indulge in the traditional ice cream sandwiches. I find the air over the water to be particularly cleansing and pure.

    We love you and miss you already.

    -T

    ReplyDelete